Friday, July 1, 2011

I had the time of my LIFE, and I owe it ALL to YOU....

I thought I would do a little update since I've been back at Wings for a week now... Its been a crazy past couple of days but oh did the kids have a blast!!! I got back last Wednesday(the 22nd) and its been non stop since I got here. The kids and staff were excited to see me as was I to see them... There is a kid named Matt that is here with his mother for a month so I met them and we have been messing with each other ever since... He's a hoot and its going to be hilarious to spend the next month with them. I got settled in and ready for the team that arrived Friday.
Cotting, Wings sister school arrived Saturday. It's always exciting around the house when they are here... they bring a level of excitement that no other group can bring!!! We went down to St. Joseph's for church Sunday am, where I was able to see the massive progress they had made on the new boys house... I also met Michael, the man that started the St. Joseph's, The Trinity House and Wings. He is such an amazing man and I look forward to getting to know him and learning about his experiences.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were spent doing student evaluations and goal casting for next year... One of my new roles at the house is behavior so sitting in on all the meeting helped me evaluate where the kids are now and where the staff would like to see them be. I will be working with the kids in many different aspects... Anger management, socially acceptable behaviors, proper dressing, and all kinds of different things. Its going to be a long process but I think it will be challenging and exciting to see the improvement they will make!!!



Yesterday after countless hours of preparation we packed all the kids up and went to the BEACH!!! It was AMAZING!!! The kids were SOO EXCITED and the had a BLAST!!!! We went to Kalico Beach which is about 2 1/2 hours away but it was worth the drive!!! We spent the entire day there soaking up the sun and splashing in the ocean, each visitor and staff member was paired up with a kid and your only responsibility was to have fun... Ester was my partner and because of her limited mobility we spent the day relaxing in the ocean. The kids that are able to walk got the opportunity to ride a jet ski for the first time ever!!! They were sooo excited to get to drive up and down the shore and wave to all their friends. It was a priceless sight, I was so glad they go to do it. The less mobile ones rode on a boat around the strip of beach clubs but Ester and I chilled on our float and watch(it was great)!!! We ate lunch right on the beach then went back in for a little more water action before we packed everyone up and headed home... Needless to say the ride back was a little quieter then going but we still had our fare share of action as we ran out of gas TWICE... We got home around 8 and I think I was in the bed around 8:15... I was burnt and worn out!!! ALL IN ALL IT WAS A GREAT DAY!!!!


BEACH BUMS....



Today was another fun filled day... Today we finished breakfast and loaded up about 20 of the kids and went SHOPPING!!! The have a designated fund for the kids to be able to go and buy toys and things once a years so the staff decided why not do it when we have a group of visitors who can handle the outing... Each kid was paired with an adult and given an envelope of money. We went to the Eagle grocery store which has a rather decent toy section and allowed out kids to pick out whatever they wanted... Sam my partner got a bag of play toys including two shovels a pale, a dump truck, train, boat and several other things. He then hit the food section to spend the rest of his money... We got crackers, cookies and of course some candy!!! We finished our trip with a visit to Epi'dor for lunch... We got Cheeseburger and fries!!! Most of the kids like to get ice cream but Sam however HATES ice cream so we stuck to a bigger order of fries and a big coke... It was fun to get out and have just a regular ole day of shopping and grabbing a bite to eat!!!



RAGS....TO....RICHES...

Im so blessed to be able to do what I'm doing... hope all of you enjoyed my little blurb about what's going on in my neck of the woods... love you all and please continue to pray for God's provision and blessing on the kids and this country!!!!

Enjoying the Journey
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment