Friday, September 16, 2011

Giving a little respect to those who dont recieve it....

With the joys of LIFE we too have to experience the sadness of death....
I don't know that I could have ever prepared myself for the things I witnessed today but as hard as it was I have to cling to my FATHER and find rest in HIM... Today, September 15th, my sweet Belinda went HOME to walk on streets of gold to be with her FATHER!!!! As hard as it is for me to write this I really do cling to knowing that she is REJOICING right now. With all the emotions that are running through my head, I feel it necessary to share the struggle that even death creates here in Haiti....


As much as I wish it was different, people with special needs are deemed worthless here in Haiti, they are shown no respect and outcasted greatly in society. My hope is that through this I can share with you a huge struggle that I face daily in the line of work I do... I ask you to pray for these sweet people who are shown this injustice as well as the country as a whole that maybe one day, we can put our differences behind us and learn to see people through the eyes of Christ!!!!!





When I went into the girls room to check on B this morning I was informed that she had gone to the Baptist Mission hospital... Obviously I quickly started asking questions but to my surprise no one could tell me what was going on, being the impatient person I am I decided I would go get the answers I wanted. I walked up to the hospital but when I got there I couldn't find them... Where were they? The directors told me she was up here, did they go somewhere else? Is she in the back somewhere? A thousand questions ran through my head so I decided to get a dear friend (who speaks creole since I dont) to ask the hospital staff if they had seen her. After we looked in EVERY single room for them he informed me that he was friends with one of the women who was with B... After he called her he informed me that they were on their way to the fifth hospital....

What do you mean the FIFTH hospital? Why is she not being seen, she is really sick? Why? I need answers!!! All these things were running through my head, but I knew why. I was mad, I was hurt, I was every emotion you could have. This sweet little girl is struggling to hold on and no one will see her because she is handicap....
As horrible as this is, its the TRUTH. So I walked back to the house and decided to shower while I waited for answers. When I went back over to get an update, I heard the news... My sweet little B just couldn't hold on anymore.

The next hour of my LIFE was possible the hardest experience I have ever witnessed...
As I stood there in shock, overwhelmed by the pain of losing someone so sweet the staff prepared her for her burial. We sang song, celebrated her precious LIFE and prayed over her. It was an extremely bittersweet time but one filled with the respect and dignity, exactly what she deserved!!!! Because she was a child with disabilities we had to take her to the cemetery somewhat secretly. She was buried between two plots at the cemetery not to far from the house.... It was a very hard time but I was so glad I could be there to respect her passing they way she deserved.
I know this will not be the only death experience that I walk through here in Haiti or in America but my hope is that when the FATHER calls his children home I am able to give them the proper respect their passing deserves, maybe one day others in this country will come to do the same but until then I will do my best to help change that....


"learn to do right. Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17

Katie <3


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are there to love on these precious children...and help show them dignity and respect, even in their death. I can't imagine the pain yesterday was...have been praying for peace for you. Love you, girl.

    Biz

    ReplyDelete